On Jan. 21, 2017 thousands of abortion supporters marched on Washington, DC. I was present with the rest of the Created Equal team to represent both women and children. Because of our strong presence, we were physically threatened, shouted-down, cursed at, spat upon, and had some of our equipment stolen. While this mob-like behavior should be expected in a culture that has jettisoned the Christian worldview, the experience was a wake-up call even for this veteran.
- Watch abortion supporters attack Created Equal HERE.
Even though most marchers were lewd and obnoxious, there were at least two abortion supporters, roses among thorns, who were embarrassed by the behavior of their peers. Their reaction to the abuse their friends were dishing out provided us a refreshing end to a very challenging outreach.
You won’t believe your eyes.
- Many pro-abortion protesters are disrespectful and mean—but not all.
- Because we are ALL made in God’s image, we can disagree with people while not being disagreeable.
- If pro-life activists refuse to stoop to the level of our adversaries, we can succeed in having civil debate. The bible says, “A gentle word turns away wrath.” (Pr. 15:1)
- Theodore Roosevelt said, “Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.” Showing personal interest and communicating respect for our enemies helps diffuse tension, thus laying the foundation for civil debate and a substantive exchange of ideas.
Finally, when debating abortion or any other contentious issue of our day, we must remember to remain calm, realizing that though they may attack us personally, their disagreement isn’t really with us. Their opposition and anger is aimed toward the babies and the God who created them and provides a framework according to which we are to live our lives.